Thursday, February 7, 2013

Swirlydoos Ultimate Design Challenge Week 4

So excited that I made it to week 4 in the Ultimate Design Challenge at Swirlydoos. So this week the challenge is using mixed media on a canvas. I did my first one but I was not really happy with it so I redid it (thank God for Dollar store canvases, lol). So this is what I came up with.

 So first is used three glimmer mists in blue, pink and green. When they were almost dry I used my Prima Peacock feather mask and molding paste on it. I didn't realize this before but when you add molding paste to a damp canvas it will suck up the color from below, which made the colors on the feather look very cool. Then I added some glass bead gel to three corners of the canvas and let that all dry. While these were all drying I took some cheesecloth and sprayed it with the same glimmer mists and set that off to the side to dry. 


 So while that was drying I cut out some angel wings on my Cricut machine out of some Tim Holta grunge board and then embossed them. I painted them with white acrylic paint and when that was dry I used Inka Gold Steel Blue and Green-Yellow and just rubbed that over with my finger and then dry brushed some blue Gelato's over the wings. The embossing and painting doesn't show up that well in the photo but it looks good IRL. When that was all dry I glued them and a gold heart (from a pair of earrings which I got from the dollar store) to the top left corner.

Now that the canvas was all dry I took some Glossy Accents and painted that on the area I wanted to put the cheesecloth on and then laid that down to dry. I then printed out my saying on the computer and cut it out and laid it down over the cheesecloth once it was all dried. I took just a bit of gesso on my finer and kind of rubbed it over the glass beads in the corners and then dry brushed that with some blue Gelato's.  I think I covered all of the steps here, lol. 

So I thought I'd show you my first canvas I did which I decided to use for a photo of my daughter when she was 16 mo old. I didn't use enough molding paste for my peacock feather and i used gesso to stick my cheesecloth down with and I also didn't pre-spray my cheesecloth so it didn't pick up enough of the glimmer mist when I sprayed it on. I think my second try looked a lot better, lol. So here it is....
I'd love to hear your comments on them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I make it to week 5 but I'm not real confident as the others are all so talented. I'm pretty happy that I made it this far but I sure would like to win that prize! TFL! 

2 comments: